Rank Recruitment  lessons in social ineptitude 101 (ranger recruitment/check-in)
Viewing: 1 Guest(s)
Livid (RP) she/her
strider of gemini
Gemini
Pronouns: she/her
Rank [IC]: Strider
Played By: RJ.

All Accounts Posts: 236
(This post was last modified: October 23, 2018, 02:38:21 PM by Livid (RP).)

ooc: another one of those recruitment thread, guys. Throw your characters in here if you want a shot at being a Ranger, the border guards of Gemini. This is also a CHECK-IN for current Rangers, since Livid is newly appointed and wants to know who is currently on her team. There is also going to be an important announcement at the end of this so it would be awesome if you could all dive in and just be all 'I'm here'. Bullet point posts are totally fine with me. c:

So it seemed Ol' Greenie would not be coming back.
Livid had figured as much, though she had tried to hold out hope as Aela had been a good Strider. Able to accept critique and more than willing to take Rangers on despite them being not the most social butterflies (i.e. her). All the new Strider could think about as she set off to pick an adequate meeting place was what had happened on the shore last week. The incident with Hickory... and the fire. She had not got around to apologising to the hellion yet and had mostly dealt with her remorse by throwing herself into her work, trying to work out just how she was going to handle her new rank. She supposed nothing would really change: she was still a border guard. Her true place was on the borders. She just had to take on new recruits and see what was what in terms of current Rangers. 

There was also another issue to discuss. One that Livid would never admit on her own but the Queen had insisted on it and what Serrate said was not a matter of opinion that Livid could disagree with: it was law. 

Drawing her head back to let out a series of loud, commanding howls, the arctic hybrid remained standing in the clearing she had chosen for the recruitment. It was a suitable distance from the borderline but close enough for her to conduct her meeting. She wanted both her Rangers and any new recruits to be more than familiar with being in this area of the packlands. She also wanted them to feel alone and isolated from their peers. Yes, teamwork was important when you were a Ranger - that was what troubleshooting and forums were for - but Livid wanted her Rangers to be able to look after themselves in the event of an invasion. A few seconds of being able to handle yourself in a border skirmish could mean the difference between life and death for Gemini as they knew it.

Once her Rangers and any potential newcomers began to gather, she would offer them a grim smile, indicating any of her fellow Rangers to separate themselves from any recruits and stand to one side. One thing they were going to learn about the Strider was that she was not the most social or serene of creatures. The latter was why she refused to sit down and relax. She was anxious about this new rank, secretly wondering if she even had the right temperament for it. She could admit she was aloof, cold and very much uncaring towards the feelings of others. On the other paw, caring too much could get you killed in this job. It made you more susceptible to manipulation. Which was exactly why she only met her packmates with an evident frostiness. 

She would not be manipulated. Not even by those within. 

"Welcome to Ranger recruitment. I'm Livid, your Strider," she would announce once she was sure nobody else would come. "I would like any newcomers to come forward and give me your name and why you wish to become a border guard. Once we have that out of the way, we shall get on with a couple of exercises. If you impress me today, the rank is yours. Simple. I'd also like to count on any current Rangers to aid me with this recruitment. We're all here to learn today, including myself. So, let's get started."

Let's have a ball, shall we?

profile • bin • played by rj
She wants the silence but fears the solitude
She wants to be alone and together with you
So she ran to the lighthouse, hoped that it would help her see
She saw that the lighthouse had been washed out to sea
vixxie's codes
[-] Likes: Corvo, Rhiow
Toya He
Now everything's imaginary, especially what you love
Gemini
Pronouns: He

All Accounts Posts: 843
(This post was last modified: October 25, 2018, 12:35:14 PM by Toya.)

[Image: snowy___divider_by_dokuyurei-db3e6n7.png]

[Image: friendly_crow__f2u__by_corvith-dbhw3nk.png]
#ce2029

It went without saying that his sleep schedule was completely messed up, from waking up in the late afternoons, middle of the night, or early morning. There was just no consistency, though nothing him was rarely ever consistent, beside that expressionless mug of his.

He scooted out of the den with a rapid quickness that was truly unlike him. The hellion was more likely afraid of having to run into either of his parents, sitting through painful small talk in this shared space. It always made him uncomfortable, even though it shouldn't have. They were his dads after all, stuff was just... hmm.

The sea soaked air nipped at his nose, a certain chill to it, ah hello autumn. Before he knew it, however, there was a mess of noise that echoed over the rolling hill. The ghostly male blinked for a moment, before going off to find the source. Passing the wall with hesitance and then going further out into the low lands before he came to a small clearing and presumably the source of the noise. Ah?

The male blinked, one, twice, three times at the female, and when she finally addressed any else that came, he'd blink again. Rank recruitment? If he caught her gaze she'd probably take him for being bored at this gathering, when in fact he was actually trying to sum up the right answer. "Uhhh, hi. I'm Toya." He'd say though there was that distinct plainness to his greeting. "I, uhh, actually didn't know this was a rank recruitment, but uhm, I'd like a job, I guess." Another nonchalant, bland answer.

"I, uh, hmm, I want to be a ranger because I live with my parents still and I mooch off of them while doing and contributing nothing despite being an adult and living under their roof. Soooo, I guess I think that they're disappointed in me and will kick me out if I don't start stepping up, thanks for considering." The word vomit came spilling out as he deadpanned his answer to her, bowing his head when he was done.

Do I care if I despise this? Nothing else matters, I know
In a veil of great disguises: How do I live with your ghost?

« aesthetic profile played by: waka »

Iaera She/Her
Gemini
Gemini
Pronouns: She/Her
Rank [IC]: Ranger & Whisper
Played By: .eclipse.

All Accounts Posts: 358

[Image: cv4TX4u.png]
|✬| gemini |✬|
the nymph; whisper & ranger

Halfway bullet points from Iaera.

⁍Grumble grumble, she’s still hurting from the battle, seems as if her ribs are never going to properly heal. Still she can’t stand just sitting around and doing nothing so she’s been doing her jobs as she’s able. Wonders off hand if Afua and Kafele have settled in well, has not sought them out to check on them though. Perhaps she should put on her Whisper hat and go give them a visit?

⁍Meh.

⁍Oh a call from Livid. New Strider. Iaera still wasn’t sure how she felt about the icy woman—icy was right--. Perhaps simply because she was so biased towards Aela, Aela had welcomed her to Gemini when she had no skills and poor English. It had been so meaningful to her, this Livid did not seem like the same creature. Iaera scrutinized her slightly because of it but she herself was not a soft delicate flower like the green woman had been so the jury wasn’t completely out.

⁍She’s already on the border but takes her time, for some reason she’s dreading finding out the reason for this call. It sounds like recruitment but sometimes Iaera wondered why they had Rangers at all if just anyone with no ability to judge others was allowed to accept based solely on possessing a rank.

⁍Iaera could think of certain members with ranks she wouldn’t trust as far as she could throw to accept members, and not because she disliked them. Poor loving, gentle, nearly naïve Harriette came to mind; Iaera felt a trickster could take advantage of her gentle sensibilities. Unless the healer woman was hiding something she’d never seen.

⁍The Ranger arrives, nods to Livid, seats herself where indicated to without much else. Livid should, at the very least, know it’s Iaera right? They’ve met before in Ranger meetings and she believed… just around?

⁍She listened to the girl explain why she wanted to be a Ranger and felt a visible tug to frown harder. Iaera wiggled her little brown nose to make it go away. Violet eyes looked to the Strider to ask questions so she didn’t have to. The last thing she wanted was to accidentally speak out of turn or something with the new lead around.

[Image: f7Tqbvl.png]

[Image: 3Uda1h5.png]

.profile.
.played by eclipse.
Rook She/her
HUNTER
Gemini
Pronouns: She/her
Rank [IC]: Recruit
Played By: LK

All Accounts Posts: 259

The thought of ranks never really crossed Rook’s mind. She figured everyone just did whatever as long as they were able to pull their weight around, all while generously curtsying  whenever someone high and mighty strolled by. She remembered Harriette, the healer; further back, the two scouts who found Rook bleeding to death. What were their names …

When her ears pricked at Livid’s summons, something tugged at her legs to answer in response. This land was becoming more and more homely, but there was still much she did not know. She would investigate.

When the clearing opened up, she immediately recognized Iaera and those violet eyes. Licking over her nose in giddiness, she sidled up beside the Ranger, giving only a curt nod should the other recognize her, before wiggling her hind leg out to show – look, it’s all better now.

Livid spoke and made it very clear she was a Strider and what she wanted them to do, and all Rook could think about was what the hell a Strider was, and who these people were. How was it possible to live in a pack for months on end and still meet new faces every day! She wondered what the Queen and King of this little dynasty thought of their citizens, pouring in and out of their borders like so very busy bees.

Toya was a cute one; he reminded her of herself when she was a babe, living with Jasper still. She knew the want to break free … except, it was more like her mom wanted to break free of her. Oof. Let’s not think about that, then.

“I’m Rook. My life was saved by Rangers —” She’d look pointedly at Iaera, “— and I wish to repay the debt I owe Gemini. I’ve sat idle for too long, but I’m ready to work. I hope you’ll have me.” 

She didn’t know what the proper etiquette was following introductions, so, following Toya’s lead, she too bowed her head and stepped back.

[Image: Jjvo4on.png]

Necros He/Him
Acolyte Apothecary
Gemini
Pronouns: He/Him

All Accounts Posts: 311
(This post was last modified: December 21, 2018, 01:34:24 PM by Necros.)

"When looking back doesn't interest you anymore
Then you're doing something right.
And now I'll do something best for me. "

The call found its way to the dark Ranger as he was taking a rest on a nearby hillside, enjoying the chilly morning breeze,  watching the clouds in the blue expanse above shift and morph into different shapes. It had been sometime since he had gotten his rank of ranger but it felt like years since he had done a patrol. Ever since the slaver incident the fringe wolf had been under the strict watch of the healers, for good reason, as they tended to his injuries. A dislocated leg was the worst injury by far and he was probably the last to be treated as he had been searching the borders for his missing friend. He had taken to sneaking out to the borders in order to search for them. A week of no sign from his sister in arms was weighing heavily on his mind leaving him unprepared for when the male was eventually reunited with them sadly, it was no fairy tail reunion, her condition had been dire and prospects for survival low. So Necros had avoided going around healers in order for their focus to remain on the more serious cases. Ivaylos to be more specific. He remembered the relief he felt when he learned of her improving condition and how he decided to go visit her only to be surrounded and scolded by visibly cranky caretakers for avoiding them for so long.

He didn't know how long he was forced to stay under their constant watch but the time spent there seemed to crawl for an eternity but he begrudgingly allowed himself to stay in isolation as his wounds healed. It wasn't too long ago that he had been released in fact the scent of herbs and flora still lingered in his fur. Grunting the large canine raised himself to his feet and began to make his way towards the origin of the call.

As he traversed the golden fields the black and brown male wondered how his friends were doing. He wondered about Ivaylo and her skiddish nature towards forming bonds and wondering if she and her smaller companion, Angus, had rekindled their friendship or if they were struggling after such a traumatic reunion. A chuckle escaped his lips as he remembered how determined the pup had been in seeing the pale lass as she was being tended to. More than once Necros had found him trying to sneak past the guards to see her only for the fringe wolf to grab him and return him to the shepherds care. The boy let Necros know just what he thought of him with his facial expressions which were none too fond of his presence. Idly he wondered if he'd eventually understand the reasons why he had been kept away from his friend as she was healing or if it would be something the boy would hold against him. The thought vanished from his mind like a bird on the wind. Gathered before his eyes were a few wolves which he had not seen before but one figure, silver and tan, looked familiar. Then again all faces tended to feel familiar after a while.

He entered the small gathering as the last person spoke their piece which sounded rather promising but it was not his position to say so. "Greetings," he said voice rough from a restless night as he took place beside Iaera and a fair distance from the other two wolves, "my name is Necros I heard your call for the Rangers I haven't missed anything have I?" If this meeting was about something dire that those in the rangers rank needed to know the fringe dire didn't want to be at a disadvantage of missing anything.

[Image: nUs3XU8.jpg]

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
Livid (RP) she/her
strider of gemini
Gemini
Pronouns: she/her
Rank [IC]: Strider
Played By: RJ.

All Accounts Posts: 236
(This post was last modified: December 23, 2018, 05:02:00 PM by Livid (RP).)

The sounds of one approaching caused Livid to look up from her thoughts. The first to answer her call was a tall, graceful specimen with hellion traits. She could not deduce exactly what was wrong with his eyes but there was something not right about them. Not wanting this boy to see her grimace in the event that he could see, Livid silently stepped forward as if to greet him but to get a closer inspection on this strange eye. Interesting, she mused to herself. 

The second one to turn up was one of the other Rangers. Iaera was certainly familiar to her. Alongside herself, she was one of the more dedicated Rangers and seemed to take the job as seriously as herself. Livid was glad to see at least one Ranger turn up. She was new to this recruitment stuff and needed all the assistance she could get. She sat away from the first recruit, to which Livid offered her a respectful nod. She may be Strider, but she wanted her Rangers to know their input mattered as much as her own. Livid approached her and spoke in a low voice. "Feel free to question anything you see fit. The words of other Rangers carry as much weight as my own."

Toya began to speak, in a deadpan manner that made the Strider snort. A little bit of enthusiasm never hurt. Then again, she was hardly the most excitable of sentries herself so she let it slide. As long as he could do his job, he could  talk however the hell he liked.

"Uhhh, hi. I'm Toya. I, uhh, actually didn't know this was a rank recruitment, but uhm, I'd like a job, I guess. I, uh, hmm, I want to be a ranger because I live with my parents still and I mooch off of them while doing and contributing nothing despite being an adult and living under their roof. Soooo, I guess I think that they're disappointed in me and will kick me out if I don't start stepping up, thanks for considering." 

Oh my god. This actually happening right now. The college kids were descending. Livid resisted the urge to facepaw there and then. At least the boy recognised that he was being a leech and wanted to improve himself. "I like your honestly, Toya," she said, deciding he could've chosen to brag that his lifestyle was perfectly fine. "Go take a seat somewhere and we'll wait for the others to turn up, OK? Then we'll go ahead and conduct a few tests."

The third was yet another newcomer, a reddish-brown girl with keen blue eyes. She looked a tad bit uncertain when Livid explained the purpose of the meeting but the Strider did not question this. This was merely a practice run for these newbies, after all. Nothing complex or taxing. You either became a Ranger or you screwed up and tried again next time. Or tried a new rank. It was not like there was a shortage of jobs in Gemini. All the ranks needed capable volunteers. 

“I’m Rook. My life was saved by Rangers and I wish to repay the debt I owe Gemini. I’ve sat idle for too long, but I’m ready to work. I hope you’ll have me.” 

Livid noted the look that Rook offer Iaera and she nodded approvingly at both of them. "It's good to hear that Iaera has left such an impression on you," she commented, with a smile. "I'm sure you'll get on just fine." Good lord, was she going soft? No, it was simple pride in her rank that made her feel such warmth. To hear of her Rangers saving lives with Gemini was high praise, even if she was not personally involved. It meant that the rank was doing just as it should.

And last - but by no means least - was yet another Ranger. Necros took a seat beside Iaera and politely asked if he had missed anything just as Rook finished her piece. Livid shook her head. "Necros, is it? No, you're just in time, actually. Rook and Toya have just concluded why they wish to become Rangers and I'm happy for this recruitment to continue. Gemini appreciates those who wish to work and improve themselves."

Even though I'm pretty certain I have more than two other Rangers working with me. Whatever, at least I have some helpers.

"Two Rangers and two recruits, nice even balance here," Livid commented. "I thank you all for turning up. I'm Livid, the new Strider of Gemini. The Strider is head of the Rangers. For those who do not know, Rangers are tasked with looking over the borders of Gemini, alongside the Vanguards. Unlike the Vanguards, however, we mostly serve as sentries and are expected to meet new recruits wishing to join Gemini and to deduce whether or not they can provide for the pack as much as the pack provides for them. You do this by questioning them, testing them on their supposed abilities - whether that be fighting, healing or whatever - and, well, by your own judgement. You must remember that you are the first line of Gemini's defence. The Vanguards depend on our vigilance to protect these lands. Thus, you must be watchful and alert. Are there any questions so far?"

Livid would take this moment to not only look over the two recruits for any signs of hesitation or uncertainty, but to look at Necros and Iaera, wondering if they had any questions of their own. It was true that this appointment to Strider had been rather sudden and that Aela had been gone for a while but would her Rangers be ready to accept that their old Strider was perhaps gone forever? Would they accept her as their new boss? Even though she held he power to recruit and to host meetings, Livid felt just as vulnerable as the two recruits. She had big shoes to fill, no doubt about that.

"Right, I think we better get started," the Strider began, once any small talk or questioning was out of the way. "I wish to cover as many aspects of being a border guard as possible so we'll do this recruitment in a series of tests: observation, questioning and, lastly, defence. Rook, Toya: both Necros and Iaera are going to be your recruits for this meeting. Treat them as newcomers to this pack. Strangers. OK? Don't hold back. I'll be observing and offering critique where I can."

First step: observation.

Livid would walk across the clearing, indicating both Necros and Iaera to follow her. She would silently implore both Rook and Toya to stay exactly where they were. Upon reaching the edge of the clearing and the trees beyond, Livid turned to face the other Rangers. "I'd like you both to go into the trees, if you may. The recruits are going to stand in the centre of the clearing. Approach them like you would approach the sentry of another pack, silently and cautiously. Take whatever direction you want to spice things up a bit."

Once Iaera and Necros had 'left' the meeting, Livid would approach Toya and Rook with an amused smile. "Iaera and Necros are going to try to re-enter the clearing," she informed the two of them. "I'd like you both to sit in the centre and try and work out their approach. To be Rangers, you both need to be on the lookout for any interlopers. Make use of all your senses, not just sight. Once you're sure you've spotted them, you need to confront them and we'll move onto the next stage."

With that, the Strider would step back to silently observe. Though they did not know it, this was also a test for Necros and Iaera. She hoped that, by aiding her with this recruitment, they would understand the value of teamwork within this rank. It was a test for her as well. A test to see if she could run such an operation smoothly.

ooc: OK, guys. If you want the lowdown without reading through this wall of text: Livid is fond of roleplay and wants the current Rangers - Necros and Iaera - to try and sneak up on both Toya and Rook, the two recruits. For the next few rounds of posting, it's going to be a buddy system: Necros can pair up with Rook and Iaera can be paired with Toya. The idea is for the Rangers to behave like newcomers to Gemini and for the two recruits to be border guards. Livid is going to offer advice and constructive criticism where she can.

The new posting order is as follows, just so this runs smoothly:

- Iaera
- Necros
- Toya
- Rook
- Livid

Again, bullet posts are acceptable. If any remaining Rangers wish to jump into this next round to help on the next test, they can. New recruits are also welcome to post. Though you will get a stink eye from Livid for being late. Thanks, guys. c:

profile • bin • played by rj
She wants the silence but fears the solitude
She wants to be alone and together with you
So she ran to the lighthouse, hoped that it would help her see
She saw that the lighthouse had been washed out to sea
vixxie's codes
[-] Likes: Reath
Iaera She/Her
Gemini
Gemini
Pronouns: She/Her
Rank [IC]: Ranger & Whisper
Played By: .eclipse.

All Accounts Posts: 358

[Image: cv4TX4u.png]
|✬| gemini |✬|
the nymph; whisper & ranger

Her new Strider told her to feel free to add input, Iaera wasn’t sure she had any but if something came to mind she’d be sure to interject. As much as she didn’t want to admit it, it seemed like a fun idea to be able to help boss people around, even if it was benevolently. Shortly after she arrived, Rook arrived too. Iaera remembered the red-toned woman, she’d caused quiet the commotion on the border with her arrival. The recruit approached the Ranger with a smile, offering no verbal greeting but wiggling her leg out to Iaera to see how it had healed. The small wolfdog simply grinned and nodded approvingly at the larger wolf, keeping their conversation silent. She would watch with half lidded eyes at Rook explained the situation and offered herself to train a Ranger. The grayscale and tan girl would keep her expression as Livid spoke in reply to Rook, instead she let her ears flick in the direction of Necros as he entered the clearing.

The fellow Ranger seated himself nearby to her and asked if he had missed anything. Iaera simply shook her head ‘no’, and Strider Livid answered the same soon after. The wolfdog had not thought to give him much of a greeting so she looked back over at him and flashed him a sheepish grin before turning back to the Strider. As much as she seemed to think Livid was a good, hard worker, the Ranger didn’t seem to know how to feel about her being the new Strider. Aela had, perhaps a little less literally than the situation with Rook, saved Iaera’s life. Aela had allowed her to enter into Gemini when she really had no legitimate skills and barely spoke English. Would Livid be the same? Furthermore, should Livid be the same? Was being soft and gentle what had kept Aela from returning from her mission? Her nose wrinkled slightly for a moment and then she looked back up at Livid, breaking away from her thoughts. The Strider was going on something about… the duties of the Rangers it sounded like.

Iaera would nod solemnly when Livid stated that Rangers were the first line of defense. When the cool-toned woman finished speaking she looked over at Iaera and Necros. Was it uncertainty? Did it matter?
”Not a question but a reminder- you must be considerate to others, yes, because Gemini is a sanctuary of many histories and pasts. But, you must not be naïve. You must be watchful, because sometimes their body and expressions betray their words if you watch closely. Our duty is to protect our people from those would deceive or harm us and that is our first and foremost consideration. Rook, you’ll recall when we found you wounded, one of the first things I did after staring your care was clarify if the Vanguard had been summoned to make sure the cat that wounded you was not still in Gemini’s lowlands.” Their home was not a nice home because it wasn’t well guarded.

Livid was going to set up tests then? Good. Iaera honestly liked that idea better than the recruitments she’d seen in the past. If we tested our members to allow them to enter, we should certainly test our Rangers to make sure they were trustworthy in their judgement and abilities. When the Strider motioned that she and Necros follow, she rose softly, violet eyes locked on Livid’s form ahead of her. They were to slip back in on the recruits, and they were allowed to spice things up. The tiny wolfdog grinned then, letting her snaggle teeth poke out fully in a crooked smile.
”Can do Strider.” Perhaps Livid should be careful what she wished for? ”Necros. I’m going to try and slip around and sneak up on them, stealth is a personal skill of mine. You’re welcome to assist in a distraction or do whatever you’d like, I think we should give them something to remember though, to make sure they’re prepared for whatever outrageous thing they encounter on the borders.” Lions and badgers and shoutings and bleedings. Iaera had been a part of some interesting acceptances. She thought for a second about Keanu’s acceptance and the bitter taste the woman’s name now left in her mouth.

Fangs bared, she moved away from Necros to circle around the clearing then. Along the way she stopped to rub her cloak on some of the few remaining strongly scented plants so that if the breeze betrayed her, they’d smell flora and not fauna. She would wait to see what Necros would do before deciding to move toward Toya, edging to come up softly behind the young boy. Iaera had noticed that one of his eyes seemed as if maybe it wasn’t a strong as the other, or had she not seen it right through his hair? Either way she’d take the risk, staying low in her cloak, tiny soft paws seemed to be deafened as they took steps. How close could she get? How close should she get? Focusing on the side she thought he might have issues on, the Ranger would attempt to approach and sit either directly behind or beside the boy.

If he managed to notice her before she sat where she’d intended she’d grin at him with a big grin, nodding and telling him ‘good’. If not she’d simply settle down near him and wait for a moment, to see what Necros had to do. Either way after a moment she would speak,
”Hallo! I seek new home!” Shouting in her broken English and heavy Latin accent. Aela had had to put up with it when Iaera had really been seeking acceptance, Toya could now.

[Image: f7Tqbvl.png]

[Image: 3Uda1h5.png]

.profile.
.played by eclipse.
[-] Likes: Reath
Necros He/Him
Acolyte Apothecary
Gemini
Pronouns: He/Him

All Accounts Posts: 311
(This post was last modified: December 30, 2018, 11:48:21 AM by Necros.)

"When looking back doesn't interest you anymore
Then you're doing something right.
And now I'll do something best for me. "

"Necros, is it? No, you're just in time, actually. Rook and Toya have just concluded why they wish to become Rangers and I'm happy for this recruitment to continue. Gemini appreciates those who wish to work and improve themselves."

The male nodded his head in agreement to her statement as he looked the two hopefuls over. They were on edge, which was expected, and trying to please the group with their polite demeanor. The bowing thing seemed to be a bit overkill though he thought but they were young and trying to achieve a goal which was more than what some could claim. The lighter individual seemed a bit shy, perhaps nervous, to be part of such a small gathering or perhaps he thought that they would judge him on his appearance; namely his hellion blood? Necros, for one, did not care for lineage or the illusion of purity the only thing that mattered to a Ranger was  the desire to protect and a willingness to learn the skills needed to do so.  He was sure that the others would agree with him. Speaking of which Necros was finally able to see the other Ranger up close as she gave him a small smile he returned the polite gesture. She was his comrade in arms although smaller in stature something about her radiate authority that even he respected. 

"Right, I think we better get started, I thank you all for turning up. I'm Livid, the new Strider of Gemini. The Strider is head of the Rangers. For those who do not know, Rangers are tasked with looking over the borders of Gemini, alongside the Vanguards. Unlike the Vanguards, however, we mostly serve as sentries and are expected to meet new recruits wishing to join Gemini and to deduce whether or not they can provide for the pack as much as the pack provides for them. You do this by questioning them, testing them on their supposed abilities - whether that be fighting, healing or whatever - and, well, by your own judgement. You must remember that you are the first line of Gemini's defence. The Vanguards depend on our vigilance to protect these lands. Thus, you must be watchful and alert. Are there any questions so far?"

The new Strider didn't hesitate to get things going but the dark fringe wolf couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed that only he and Iaera were the ones to answer the gathering call; things weren't getting off to a good start but they would make do with what they had. He kept silent when she asked if they had any inquiries he knew his duty and what was expected of him...of all Rangers...he had been through taxing conditions such as weather, stress and injury as well as unexpected trials that made up their life. The slaver incident being the largest trail so far. There was little that anyone could say to prepare fresh recruits for life guarding their borders. At three years of age Necros had thought he knew what the world held for him but ever since he took his rank the large wolf couldn't have been more ignorant.  

”Not a question but a reminder- you must be considerate to others, yes, because Gemini is a sanctuary of many histories and pasts. But, you must not be naïve. You must be watchful, because sometimes their body and expressions betray their words if you watch closely. Our duty is to protect our people from those would deceive or harm us and that is our first and foremost consideration. Rook, you’ll recall when we found you wounded, one of the first things I did after staring your care was clarify if the Vanguard had been summoned to make sure the cat that wounded you was not still in Gemini’s lowlands.”

There was wisdom in Iaeras words but controlled scenarios and real life events were different beasts.

"Right, I think we better get started, I wish to cover as many aspects of being a border guard as possible so we'll do this recruitment in a series of tests: observation, questioning and, lastly, defence. Rook, Toya: both Necros and Iaera are going to be your recruits for this meeting. Treat them as newcomers to this pack. Strangers. OK? Don't hold back. I'll be observing and offering critique where I can."

Following her silent command the two wolves followed behind their Strider keeping quiet as to not alert the recruits of what was about to happen least they use the unfair advantage to sneak an easy pass. These tests were so the Strider, and Rangers, could understand where the two hopefuls stood and how they could help further them along. He highly doubted the silver female had any intention of turning them away. Not after the small turn out. 

"I'd like you both to go into the trees, if you may. The recruits are going to stand in the centre of the clearing. Approach them like you would approach the sentry of another pack, silently and cautiously. Take whatever direction you want to spice things up a bit."

Necros couldn't stop himself, not that he put up much of an effort, from smirking at the many ways that the pair could mess with the two unsuspecting youngsters sitting obidently in the clearing but was brought out of his imaginings by Iaeras, almost cheerful reply.

"Can do Strider. Necros. I’m going to try and slip around and sneak up on them, stealth is a personal skill of mine. You’re welcome to assist in a distraction or do whatever you’d like, I think we should give them something to remember though, to make sure they’re prepared for whatever outrageous thing they encounter on the borders.”

At least he wasn't the only one enjoying this little game. Nodding he watched as the small female slunk off into the shadows of the forest, disappearing effortlessly from sight, leaving him to his own narrative. Since Iaera was taking the silent approach Necros decided he would take the boisterous route. What better way of drawing attention than being on average of a mental breakdown?  He didn't bother to hide himself or the sounds of his approach, making it easy for the two recruits to pinpoint his location. Then, when he saw their figures through the trees he ran towards them, he purposely labored his breathing to loud rasps to signify someone who had run a great distance in a short time. "PLEASE, HELP ME," he shouted before going into a panicked rambling, " my mate," he half sobbed, "my mate has fallen ill she is heavy with child but she collapsed," whimpering he began to pace back and forth before the sentry. "We were hoping to start a life out here but I-I don't know what to do I have no knowledge of medicine or illnesses," his wide amber eyes looked straight at Rook, "Please, please help me I cannot loose my mate." Hopefully his panicked display was enough to advert their attention from the small figure sneaking up from the rear. He didn't let up on his act until he heard Iaera call out, rather loudly,   ”Hallo! I seek new home!”

So how had the two done? 

[Image: nUs3XU8.jpg]

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.