Burning bridges [PRP Dahx]
Viewing: 1 Guest(s)
Shai He/Him
Almost Sparkles
Packmate
Pronouns: He/Him

All Accounts Posts: 202

His life lately seemed to be a deluge of unexpected events and surprises, none of which he appreciated. First Stoneclaw vanishes along with all his loved ones, then he nearly crosses the entire continent to find what's left of the pride was being led by his youngest inexperienced child? 

But the kicker was this. Apparently his second in command was none other than Dahx. At first Shai had thought he'd gone too long without cleaning his ears. Dahx? What? How?? Once his most trusted friend, he'd gone and vanished from the face of the earth it had seemed... And now he was helping Roderik bring back Stoneclaw from its ashes? Incredible... Shai didn't know if he should feel grateful to his old friend for trying to guide his youngest son through this challenge, or if he should tell him he was being a fool for choosing to do so. 

Roderik was too young to rule a pride, especially one in such a state of disarray. He had half a mind to take back the throne and try to fix everything... But the way Roderik had spoken, he had made it clear that he wouldn't hand over the title without a fight. 

The fool... Didn't he realize the weight he'd taken upon his shoulders? Shai feared it would crush him. He had refused to listen to his father's wisdom... But perhaps he could get Dahx to talk to him. If the boy had taken him as his right paw, then he must have trusted him a great deal. 

"Dahx?" He barely recognized him, but perhaps Dahx would think the same of him. So much time had passed. "It really is you. I didn't think I would ever see you again..." 

It was good to see him. It truly was.

"Is it true what I've heard? You've decided to help my son rebuild the pride? I don't think he realizes what he's gotten himself into... He is too young for such a responsibility, but he won't listen to me."

Show me where your loyalty lies.
Dahx he/him
Almost Sparkles
Packmate
Pronouns: he/him

All Accounts Posts: 139

"Dahx?"

Dahx had just returned from a patrol, his old guard habits being hard to break with the old King rushed at him coming close and turning him away from the clan caves.  The yellow saber was still the brawny build Dahx had remembered him as, and did not fight the new direction Shai lead him. In all honesty, Dahx had been expecting this to happen one night soon, ever since Shais return to Stoneclaw Dahx knew their meeting was unavoidable. Taking one last look toward the Clans caves he followed behind his old king into the twilight lit skies and onto the secluded beaches.

“It really is you. I didn't think I would ever see you again..." 

That was true Dahx had had little faith that he would ever see the old king again since the last time they had meet Shai was fleeing Stoneclaw and Dahx had been there begging him not to go, or for himself to be allowed to follow. Dahx could even now feel the burn of betrayal boiling inside his chest at the memory. Closing his eyes, he sighed and pushed those feelings away. Shai had come back to them now and Dahx couldn’t judge him, he too had ran away… but if Shai had stayed, would he have ran too? Picking up his pace to now be shoulder to should to Shai, Dahx decided that he was ready to forgive and forget if Shai was ready to ask for it. ”Shai, it has been a long time.”

Dahx forced all the bad feelings he had been holding out for so long and focused on the good, on the friendship they had once and smiled at Shai, ”I have missed you too, brother.” he addressed the old king very informal in hopes to open up a path for Shai to say he was sorry, to admit he had done wrong. Dahx was ready to hear those words. He was ready.

"Is it true what I've heard? You've decided to help my son rebuild the pride? I don't think he realizes what he's gotten himself into... He is too young for such a responsibility, but he won't listen to me."

The brown sabers smile fell instantly, he had not been expecting this. He had wanted closure and to forgive. What was Shai saying? Did Shai not realize they had unfinished business that needed to be cleaned up? Had Shai forgotten Dahx pleading with him to stay? Dahx face was now stone still and expressionless as he looked at Shai searching for any trace of evidence that he had been suffering the same as he had. Dahx found none. Rage began to burn in him.

“King Rodrick is doing a fine job for a young cub.” Dahx said finally and bristled up ”And what advice would you give him?” Dahx could only guess what Shai had spoken to his son on the matter. ”He is young.” Dahx did admit that but Shai had also been young once and the golden saber had to remember that. “We all were young once Shai, that isn’t a fault for a king to have. If he needs advice there are plenty of us for him to ask.” Dahx stood there now tense and foreboding, looming over the other and standing proudly. This was not the way he wanted their reunion to go, this was not how he wanted it to go at all. 

Giving Shai a look that clearly said ‘Choose your words carefully’ Dahx waited for the old king to reply. Shais talk was starting to sound dangerous.

[Image: comm_mattdahxtranssm.png]
Shai He/Him
Almost Sparkles
Packmate
Pronouns: He/Him

All Accounts Posts: 202

”Shai, it has been a long time.... I have missed you too, brother.”

For as long as Shai could remember, Dahx had stood at his side as a loyal friend. No matter which decision Shai had taken during his reign, the brown sabre had stood beside him during it all, the good like the bad. He expected this would be no exception. Shai felt a flush of emotion as he thought back to their glory days. Perhaps those days didn't have to exist only in the past. Where they not here? Now? The both of them? In a land claimed by the name of Stoneclaw? Yes, it would be just like the good old days. Shai at the helm with his trusted brother beside him.

“King Rodrick is doing a fine job for a young cub.”

"That is the issue at hand, Brother... he is a cub, not a king."

And just like that, his dreams were shattered. The smile he'd found, at the thought of them standing side by side once again, vanished from his features. There was disbelief on his face as he replied, perhaps a bit too hastily.Was Dahx really going to support his youngest son as the head of the pride? It was madness... it was completely irresponsible. No matter which way the former king looked upon the situation, keeping Roderik as king of Stoneclaw would only end in misery. Someone would get hurt...

”And what advice would you give him?”

"I give advice only to those who are ready to hear and learn from them."

The boy wasn't ready.

”He is young.. We all were young once Shai, that isn’t a fault for a king to have. If he needs advice there are plenty of us for him to ask.”

There was wisdom in Dahx's words... and for a moment, Shai's features softened. He wanted to share with him how frightened he actually was... not for the future of the pride, but for Roderik's well being and future. The burden of a crown was a heavy one, the golden sabre knew it first hand. Roderik wasn't just young, he was still grieving the loss of his closest friend. In light of all these things, how could he possibly be able to lead? How would he make the best decisions for Stoneclaw? But rather than pouring out his heart and worries to Dahx, Shai just frowned again and responded to his poor excuse of a justification with venomous words.

"There was once a time when you stood beside me... ready to do what was best for Stoneclaw." His eyes never left him as he spoke. "But now?... I'm not so sure anymore...."