In Dire Straits
[PRP] Fight Or Flight [Ivaylo] - Printable Version

+- In Dire Straits (https://dires.net)
+-- Forum: The In Between (IC) (https://dires.net/forum-20.html)
+--- Forum: The Neutrals (https://dires.net/forum-72.html)
+--- Thread: [PRP] Fight Or Flight [Ivaylo] (/thread-4004.html)

Fight Or Flight [Ivaylo] - Angus - April 18, 2018

I ooc: This thread is being liquid timed as it's own separate interactions post "The Business of Survival " thread. Since it's gone a bit quiet, we're going to liquid time the events about to happen as happening after the older threads interaction. This thread is also liquid timed before Ivaylo's acceptance in to Gemini. Just wanted a few heads up before we got under way for anyone who may be confused. Also these are probably going to be super short replies and posts. whoops.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun was growing weary in the sky as early afternoon turned late and the woods were once again brimming with the early signs of the night life that would soon take over those that roamed the day. That, of course, was unnoticed by the young pup named Angus as he barreled through the underbrush of the forest, green eyes wide as they searched frantically for the large female wolf that had come up to him and a small gathering.

"Tell me.Tell me of this pack. Gemini. Now."

The words rang in his ears and buzzed about his brain as he continually mulled over each letter spoken. She knew something- she had to have known something about Gemini. Maybe she even knew where his parents were? Angus pushed himself, his chest burning and on the brink of exploding; his heart pounding so loud and fast that if he took his mind off of those words he might actually find himself tripping and falling over, unable to keep up. But he pressed on, digging each foot in to the ground in front of him and pushing off, panting wildly as he tried to find her. She would know something....

But it didn't last long; Angus pausing to stop and take in a deep breath of air. His breath raked through his nose, the pain stinging every nerve ending in his body as the exhaustion was piling on fast. Even for a pup he had his limits- and he was reaching them fast. The pup swallowed what little mucus remained in his mouth; everything was as dry as sand at this point. He looked around, the sudden pangs of disappointment creeping up to his heart. Or was it panic? He'd never experienced something like that before- so maybe it was just his exhaustion after all. 

"Hello?!" he called out as loud as he could, a small cough escaping his dried lips as he looked around frantically. "Please, please come, please come back!" Angus shifted on his front paws, letting out a tiny whine. "I need to know more about Gemini! I need, I need to find my way there! Hello?!"

As the silence of the forest overtook his senses, the pup found himself lost once more- the scents of everyone having disappeared. The sun as well was leaving him behind as it began to crest the horizon; Angus once more left alone in the cruel and large world with no leads on where to go. But a real adventurer pressed on; and with a start and an ache in his tiny muscles, the pup took off again, calling out as he ran.

"Hello? Please come, please come back!! Hello?!"

RE: Fight Or Flight [Ivaylo] - Ivaylo - April 19, 2018

Laugh, and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone. That's how she had felt for the longest time. It was better this way. Ivaylo told herself it would be no use attempting to help another while she struggles to help herself constantly. She could still feel his bright, spirited eyes on her. The look he gave her was unbearable and overpowering. Only a heart-rending reminder for what she was cursed to live on with, and without. She would not be responsible for this one's pain, his disappointment, nor for the loss of his soul. She wouldn't be a part of it. Not this time.

And so she ran, after stumbling backwards from the disturbance of her own demands, and the coldness in her voice. I can't be here. I need to go. I should go. She recognized the sense of determination beaming off of him, the lust for adventure and excitement and discovery. All too well. It hurt to see it ebbing from another innocent youth. Of course, he didn't deserve to be unprotected and left alone. But how could he be so careless as to stray so far away from his family into an unkind world? And this world could take away those that loved him, if it chose to. Idiot, fucking idiot. She slowly began to stare off into space, her mind louder than the young one who tried to speak to her, then finally shook her head and pivoted around. Her slow departure quickened into a brisk trot, which escalated into a full sprint when she realized the boy had begun to follow and shout after her. But his legs were short. She leaped over a dead tree and bounded her way up a small slope, ducking under a low hanging branch. She would admit, she acted strangely, but she had no clue why this kid was pursuing her. Then again, maybe she would have behaved the same way all those months ago.

Pale fur brushed against the tree as Ivaylo leaned against it to catch her breath, her lungs stinging as she watched billows of white eddy into the air from her parted jaws. From a close distance, she could still hear the young boy desperately calling out to her. Her head peeked out from behind the oak's sturdy trunk, and she could see him standing in a small clearing downhill from her. As she looked on, she couldn't help but feel a pang of empathy for him. Oh, how she longed for someone to comfort and guide her to do what's right. Yet, she was afraid of possibly entertaining the idea that he could successfully reunite with his parents and not die trying. It was a miracle that she, a fairly young unstable wreck, could even make it this far on her own.

"Hello?! Please, please come, please come back! I need to know more about Gemini! I need, I need to find my way there! Hello?!"

She heaved a sigh and let her head rest upon the tree. If she was going to even join a pack at some point, she would need to get used to being approached by strangers. She knew that he just wanted help, but she couldn't put an end to her guilt. Though, she did wish she had the courage to help him.

"Hello? Please come, please come back!! Hello?!"

Ivaylo looked up to see the boy scampering off again, but in the wrong direction. She groaned as she tried to make up her mind, then stomped her paw against the bark and chased after him down the slope. "Hey! Over here," she called to him. She would stand there waiting for him to make his way back to her, then dip her head towards him. "I'm sorry I ran. I just... You made me think of someone I'd rather forget." She stood there pondering for a moment. "Anyway. You shouldn't be out here by yourself at this time of night. I... want to at least make sure you're safe until morning." It was so hard to say that with a straight face.

RE: Fight Or Flight [Ivaylo] - Angus - April 19, 2018

"Hey! Over here! I'm sorry I ran- I just...You made me think of someone I'd rather forget."

The sounds of the familiar voice rang in his ears as Angus ran from it; his heart pounding as he halted, nearly falling on his face as his balance waned under the exertion it had just been under. Angus's head snapped in the direction of the noise, watching as the female wolf he had so desperately been searching for appeared. She stood in the clearing he was just in waiting for him, and the emotions that bubbled up inside his chest made him almost cry out of joy. But he held it in, turning on a heel and bounding back with what strength had left (which was a lot; it's funny what hope and a friendly face can do to the soul). As he neared, he found himself smiling from ear to ear, those bright green eyes looking up at her with wonder and a sense of gratefulness.

"Its--It's okay!" he panted still smiling, his tail and tiny rump swaying back and forth wildly out of excitement.

Angus took in a large gulp of breath, exhaling loudly as he found himself beginning to laugh. Was it the nerves? No, no, he wasn't nervous anymore- he was delighted to have found this wold once more.

"I'm just so glad, I'm just so glad I found you! Or...you found me. I don't know; but I'm, but I'm very glad to see you!" 

"...You shouldn't be out here by yourself at this time of night. I...want to at least make sure you're safe until morning."

He could feel his tiny limbs shaking as he looked up at her gleefully. He hadn't even noticed that the sun had crested on the horizon and night had begun to fall. He blinked a couple of times and looked around before returning his gaze up to Ivaylo.

"That's very kind of you! Thank you!" The pup started to move but stopped himself as realization kicked in a moment too late.

"Oh!" he began, looking back up to her with that smile still plastered upon his face. "I'm Angus! It's very nice to meet you! " 

RE: Fight Or Flight [Ivaylo] - Ivaylo - April 24, 2018

"And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust."

Ivaylo watched him running back to her with such enthusiasm that the corners of her lips couldn't help but tug upwards. But after a moment she averted her eyes and looked away as he reassured her that he was more happy to see her than anything. She didn't know how to take it or how to act. Normally she was used to her brother Seva, who was the same age as her, being her only friend. He was the only friend she ever needed. And now the more she tried to talk to others, the harder it felt to relate to anyone. Could she really say she the same, that she was happy to see him too? She wasn't quite sure yet. She still felt scared that somehow her problems would become his. But that wasn't important for now. She pushed her thoughts away to be able to tend to him with care. He didn't need to know about her past, and she didn't need his pity. The only thing that mattered now was that she made sure he was safe for the night, and to find a new route away from the woods the next morning. Her belly tightened as she remembered to tell him eventually that she wouldn't be slowing down just for him. She must continue her search.

But it was hard to remember what to say when he seemed to be exploding with excitement, laughter escaping his grinning lips. How could he be so happy in a time like this? She didn't understand him. She didn't know exactly how he happened to lose his family, but she didn't remember feeling this exhilarated to be alive.

"I'm just so glad, I'm just so glad I found you! Or...you found me. I don't know; but I'm, but I'm very glad to see you!"

She cringed, feeling an unusual wave of discomfort following the boy's attempt at an endearing remark. Relax, he's just being nice. This is fine. Her eyes darted back and forth, then fell upon his joyous gaze. Should she... reciprocate? Ivaylo slowly lifted her paw over the child's curly tufts on his head, a confused look on her face, and softly patted him. Realizing this was probably the wrong time for that, she swiftly lowered her paw and cleared her throat. "Yeah, uh. That's nice, kid. We should really be going now."

"Oh! I'm Angus! It's very nice to meet you!"

The pale girl blinked, realizing she hadn't shared her name with him either. She guessed that it wasn't important, since it was quite possible she'd never see him again in a day or two. "My name is Ivaylo," she replied, then after a few moments she gave him a subtle smirk. "But you can call me big boss lady. Now come on, let's find some place warm to sleep. I have a lot of things I need to plan for."

As she proceeded to lead the way, her pace slow and steady so he could keep up with her, she looked down at him occasionally and pondered what to say to make things less awkward for the both of them. It was going to feel strange for her either way, but she felt it necessary to make him feel like he was safe around her. "So then, Angus," she began. "Do you want to tell me why you thought it was a good idea to wander so far from home?"

RE: Fight Or Flight [Ivaylo] - Angus - April 27, 2018

"My name is Ivaylo, but you can call me big boss lady. Now come on, let's find some place warm to sleep. I have a lot of things I need to plan for."

Angus looked at her with wonder as she spoke, though he made a bit of a face as she announced that he was to call her 'big boss lady'. The pup huffed, his eyes narrowing a bit though a smirk still played on his face. He opened his mouth to protest, to tell her that if anyone here was the smartest, bravest adventurer who knew about Gemini it was him, but he stopped himself short of an agape mouth as she began to walk away. Angus gave a small huff, trotting after her, though slowing to a walk as she slowed her own pace to allow him to keep up.

"So then, Angus, do you want to tell me why you thought it was a good idea to wander so far from home?"

The pup paused, his limbs holding fast in place as he fell behind. Why did he wander so far from home? Well, the short answer was obvious: he hadn't meant to- he'd only meant to go to the edge of the wood that they had occupied. He hadn't meant to go past the first line of trees, following a curious little bug that had caught his attention. It wasn't his fault, not really anyway, that he hadn't been interested in hunting lessons with his father and siblings. They were all so formal in their up bringing and he just wanted to explore. In fact, Angus had been almost positive that he knew the way home when he'd realized after two hours that he had wandered too far from home. But the forest was vast, and he was tiny; he had not realized that in his adventuring that he would have become so lost and turned around that he wouldn't find his home. 

He took in a deep breath and stepped forward slowly before picking up the pace and trotting back up to Ivaylo's side. He didn't look up at her. His ears drooped and his gaze averted to the ground. His response would have almost been a murmur had he not felt even the slightest confidence to admit that he wasn't sure.

"I didn't mean to," he finally said with a softer than usual voice. Perhaps it was guilt tugging at his chest now, as he thought of his family and how worried they must be...wherever they were. "I was adventuring. I'm an adventurer after all." He lifted his head and looked up to her, a small glimmer of hope trying to plaster itself on his features as he walked next to her. "I was, I was just following this really shiny bug and going on an adventure." Angus looked away before turning to look back at Ivaylo, a small smile pressed upon his face.

"And this is an adventure, I suppose!" Optimistic; he had to remain optimistic. He would find his family, of course he would! With the help of Ivaylo, Hyperion, and every other kind soul that he had met since his journey began, Angus was sure that they would help him find his mom and dad. "I've gotten to meet you, and, and I've gotten to meet- and I've gotten to meet Hyperion, and, I met all those other cool wolves!" The smile widened as he thought about it- he might be lost now, but he wasn't displaced forever; he would find his way home eventually. Even if it took a little longer than he'd thought, he knew that home was just around the corner...well, around a corner. Maybe not the actual next corner.

"Where's your family at?" he blurted out, those large green eyes fixating upon the larger wolf once more; his smile once more fully plastered on his face. "Are they all adventurers? Or are they at Gemini? Is that why you're looking for it? I think my family might have gone there to look or me; that's why I'm looking for it."

RE: Fight Or Flight [Ivaylo] - Ivaylo - May 05, 2018

She listened closely as Angus suddenly became somber and explained his story. It was a simple, child-like mistake. And she couldn't blame him. She recalled a time when she was younger, around his age, and she would wander far to the edges of the woods with her brother and play silly games. They would pretend to prepare for their biggest quest, then just as they took a single step outside what they knew was home, their mother came yowling and scolding them. Both would receive a nip on the ears and a swift kick back to their den. But she never said to keep their itch for adventure at bay. Mother was always kind like that. Their safety was her priority, but that never meant she had to crush their spirit. Then she remembered the night of the storm, the day she lost everything she had ever known and loved. She had gone again to the edge of home, this time hunting for Mother when she was on the brink of death, only to find her bleeding out and lifeless when she returned and her brother nowhere to be seen. If only she had made it back sooner and not gone too far from the den. If only she had asked her brother to accompany her. If only she had been strong enough to bury her and stay in the forest to find Seva. She closed her eyes for a second, wishing her spirit had been crushed long ago so that the world didn't have to do it for her.

In a way, she felt a little angry with Angus. It was irrational, but she was envious that he possibly still had a family to go home to. Yet he doesn't know where it is anymore, and he may have lost his chance to grow up with them now. She would never have taken that for granted, if she had a second chance to do what's right. She couldn't stop the thoughts from racing in her mind. Angus is a kid, he couldn't possibly be aware of the consequences he would soon endure because of his actions. At the same time, she didn't want him to feel badly for it. Maybe she did a little bit, in some sick twisted way, only so that he could learn from it and prevent him from further negligence. Some how, Ivaylo believed it wouldn't help him right now. Maybe in the future he'd learn, but for now she was tired of thinking about lost families and dumb mistakes. She would let him continue believing that this was just another big adventure. Although it brought some pain to be reminded of her twin, she felt a little relieved to be in his presence and feeling this sort of brotherly familiarity. She had forced herself to reject it from her mind for so long, but now it was almost soothing. She made sure to gently smile back at him whenever he looked up at her, with what little emotional energy she had left.

"Where's your family at?"

Ivaylo's smile disappeared and her ears laid flat against her head as she walked along, her gaze fixated on the path ahead of them.

"Are they all adventurers? Or are they at Gemini? Is that why you're looking for it? I think my family might have gone there to look for me; that's why I'm looking for it."

A few minutes passed before she could muster up an answer. She heaved a long soft sigh, exhaling through her nose before looking back at him and attempting to smile through it. "My family is... on a big adventure right now, actually. I haven't seen them for a long time. I'm on a big adventure myself, you see." She hoped her tone was convincing enough. Getting into it about her dead folks and wandering aimlessly around the forest with no will to go on anymore didn't exactly seem fun to her for the moment.

"But no, I don't know what Gemini is. I'm just looking for a pack to join. And then I heard you talking about one, and here we are. Weird, huh?"

As they walked on, Ivaylo couldn't help but feel anxious about watching over the young boy. He was so young and naive. What if he ran off again while under her care? She'd never forgive herself if something happened to him. Her expression turned from friendly to serious as she looked down at him again with a stern look in her eye.

"Angus. Family is very important. If you want to make it to Gemini and find your family, wherever that is, you must protect yourself. It will all mean nothing if you're dead. Do you understand?" Trying her best to sound supportive was difficult, especially when she wanted so badly to tell him that he may as well stop looking for them and focus on being safe. But that wasn't her problem to deal with right now, no matter how much she wanted it to be. "I was a lot like you once. But times have changed. This world is dangerous. You're very lucky you haven't been eaten alive yet, as am I. I'm sure your parents are very worried about you, or maybe they already think that you've perished. If I were you, I'd be conscious of that next time you want to go out and adventure. Bring someone with you that you trust, or mark your trail. Be smart. Okay?"

Finally, they came upon a small stream where dark water bubbled over smooth pebbles. The pale girl looked both ways, seeing nothing but shadowy forest up and down stream. Up ahead, she could just make out the thin lining of moonlight against a large stone that protruded outward, giving just enough space and coverage for the strange wandering pair. She glanced at Angus and nodded her head towards the boulder. "We're going to rest there." She gathered strength in her hind legs, then lightly bounced over the water and turned back to see if he followed.

"You can do it. It's not that far!"

RE: Fight Or Flight [Ivaylo] - Angus - May 16, 2018

My family is... on a big adventure right now, actually. I haven't seen them for a long time. I'm on a big adventure myself, you see."

There was something in her voice as she spoke and Angus could hear the sadness that rang through her already soft and delicate voice. The pup wondered if perhaps he had hit a nerve when asking about her family; his ears drooping slightly as he walked and listened. His gaze slowly faded from looking at her to looking ahead as the thoughts about his actions were beginning to take effect. 

"But no, I don't know what Gemini is. I'm just looking for a pack to join. And then I heard you talking about one, and here we are. Weird, huh?"

His attention snapped back to Ivaylo, his own thoughts being temporarily pushed aside as she mentioned Gemini once more. A tiny smile played on his face as he prepared himself to speak, though stopping as the adult once more took the reigns of conversation. The pup's smile faded as she spoke this time, and he could feel his chest growing heavy as she spoke again.

"Angus. Family is very important. If you want to make it to Gemini and find your family, wherever that is, you must protect yourself. It will all mean nothing if you're dead. Do you understand? I was a lot like you once. But times have changed. This world is dangerous. You're very lucky you haven't been eaten alive yet, as am I. I'm sure your parents are very worried about you, or maybe they already think that you've perished. If I were you, I'd be conscious of that next time you want to go out and adventure. Bring someone with you that you trust, or mark your trail. Be smart. Okay?"

The pang in his chest as she spoke struck true and the pup's entire demeanor began to change. The finality of what Ivaylo spoke of hit Angus as a tiny plague of anxiety began to rush through his body. This was a new sensation for him, his breath quickening a little as he tried to keep pace; eyes darting back and forth as he looked at the forest that surrounded them. He didn't recognize any of it, and frankly, he knew he was lying to himself a little this whole time on knowing where he was.

"Yes," he muttered softly as they walked on, his face solemn as his brain continually pushed out the idea that he might never see his family again. Surely, all these wolves and creatures who he had begun to befriend wouldn't leave him to wander the world alone, would they? Yet as the silence of their walk began to grow and his heart pounded heavily in his chest, there was always that one word that he figured would be his salvation in finding his family: Gemini.

"We're going to rest there."

Once more Angus found himself having drifted back in to the corners of his own mind as they reached the bed of stream. The poor boy had been so in to his own head that he hadn't even noticed the sounds of the water rushing past. The water, along with Ivaylo's voice jolted him once more back in to reality. Angus didn't have time to speak as he watched the older wolf already out amongst the slippery rocks as she made her way across. He looked over as she made her way to the boulder that she had designated their home for the night and inhaled deeply. The pup looked to the sky as the last remaining strips of sunlight clung to the sky and turned to look at Ivaylo already across the stream. Though thin enough for a larger wolf to make across, the pup sized up the decently flowing water and stepped back. His ears lowered to the top of his head as he looked back up at Ivaylo. Though this was just a mere creek to her, it looked like a river to him.

"You can do it. It's not that far!"

Perhaps Ivaylo's positive coaxing was what did it for him, or perhaps it was the anxiety in his chest and his brain screaming, 'you're no adventurer! you're a lost pup with no family'  that made him step back a few paces and take off the boulder with a leap. And to be fair, he did his damn best, clearing the bulk of the water but falling just short of the shoreline. He landed with a thud in the shallows of the bank, splayed out like a pelt as he lay there for just a moment before getting up slowly, his body instantly aching at the miscalculation. Angus huffed, grumbling as he shook himself as best he could before stepping out of the water and looking at Ivaylo. 'Clear your head, Angus. It's fine. Mom and dad will be there waiting for you. It's fine.'

The pup hobbled himself towards the larger wolf and the boulder offering a sheepish smile before sitting down.

"You know," Angus began as he looked up to the night sky as the stars one by one began to appear in the dark inky void, "what we, what we should, what we should do is find Hyperion. He's the one who told me about Gemini. That's why, that's why I'm out here looking for it." His little tail wagged against the dirt and rocks as he turned to look at Ivaylo. "I bet Hyperion found your family and my family, and once we get there we'll all become good friends! I mean, I mean we're already friends but I mean our families!" He paused, blinking and looking down at the dirt, kicking a rock with a paw. "I mean, I mean, I mean only if you and your family would want us to be friends."

RE: Fight Or Flight [Ivaylo] - Ivaylo - May 24, 2018

"Yes," she heard the small one answer meekly, and for a second she felt a pang of guilt, but she disregarded it. He needed to hear what had to be said, and she could only be grateful that he didn't make a fuss. Seva would have done the same if it were their mother scolding them. Ivaylo, the less intelligent one, was more likely to argue and have a tantrum. Angus was a good kid, she could tell. She was slow to admit to herself that he had the most potential out of either of them to become an experienced traveler. For that, she had faith in him.

Maybe a little too much faith? Her jaw opened wide the moment she knew he had not jumped far enough, knowing what was about to happen next. Ivaylo winced as she heard a deep sploosh, then looked back to see the young boy sprawled out on the shore. "Ahh, fuck..." she muttered, padding a step or two closer with her ears lowered. With his limbs stretched out before him, he almost looked utterly defeated. But as he picked himself up and shook it out, she couldn't help but let a chortle escape from her lips which soon turned into a little laugh. She waited until he caught up with her to give him a side look and carry on towards the boulder. "You're alright. I would've carried you, but I wanted to see you try. Gotta face these kinds of things when you're adventuring on your own, right?" She gave him a half-hearted smile. If anything, she was glad to have him here to experience the real world for the time being. Had he been anywhere else on his own or, stars forbid, with someone cruel and unfriendly, he would crack under pressure and probably give up trying just as she did. She almost shivered thinking about it, that dark depression and twisted grasp of reality that she was trapped in for so long. Now it was in the past, and she was here, with a little boy who had hope and a dream. How ironic.

The sandy she-wolf slumped near Angus, heaving a sigh of content as she felt the cool grass nestle into her fur and soothe her sore muscles. Finally! A chance to relax.

"You know," Ivaylo's ear flicked as she heard Angus speak up, but she kept her eyes closed and only gave him a short "hm?"

"What we, what we should, what we should do is find Hyperion. He's the one who told me about Gemini. That's why, that's why I'm out here looking for it." She slowly blinked, then straightened up to show she was listening.

"I bet Hyperion found your family and my family, and once we get there we'll all become good friends! I mean, I mean we're already friends but I mean our families!"

She pursed her lips and furrowed her brow, unsure of what to say. She had no idea who Hyperion was or what he had to do with finding his family, only that he was some prince of this pack called Gemini. There wasn't enough information given to make her want to reroute and find this stranger. What if he wasn't who he said he was? Some scoundrel trying to trick an innocent child into following them, only to hurt Angus or worse? It hurt her heart little by little to hear him mention her family the more time she spent with him, but she didn't have enough strength to tell him that his hopes would be an impossibility due to them being dead. And it worried her even more that he was thinking of finding this wolf, going completely off course and wasting his time. What if Angus accompanied her? Could she really bring him along to wherever she was headed? Her gut felt hollow with anxiety at the thought of being held accountable for his well being. So what, was she just going to leave him and let him figure it out? Her head swirled around with different outcomes and possibilities, all of them ending with the fear that someone may harm him or he may harm himself. She couldn't tell if she was ready to have him be her... family. She couldn't promise him anything. Only a night of safety, food, warmth. Those were things she could provide. But to provide it forever... well, that would mean she cared for him. Did she?

"I mean, I mean, I mean only if you and your family would want us to be friends."

Ivaylo glanced at him for a moment, her eyes glowing forest green as the sun finally dipped its last light into the treetops above them, then grew dark as dusk turned to night. "Well... I do want us to be friends, Angus. But I can't find this man for you. I don't know who or where he is, where he's from, what he's doing. It's... not that simple. Maybe he's with other wolves and you can't make out the right scent, or his tracks got distorted. Or maybe he's just not here and has gone home. You'll get even more lost than you are now if you wander around looking for someone you don't really know that well." She stopped to ponder for a moment, then sighed and sat up completely, looking at him with curiosity.

"Here's what I propose we do; you tell me as much as you can about Gemini and this stranger you met, and I'll decide our next course of action depending on what you know already. And then--" A loud growl erupted from her belly, forcing her to pause and look down at herself, then back up at him. "-- we eat something. Because god dammit, I'm starving."

She settled down once more, crossing one paw over another and nodding towards the boy. "The faster we do this, the faster we can hunt. Go on, then. You said you heard about this place from a man named... Hyperion, was it? What did he say? When was this?"

RE: Fight Or Flight [Ivaylo] - Angus - May 25, 2018

"Well... I do want us to be friends, Angus. But I can't find this man for you. I don't know who or where he is, where he's from, what he's doing. It's... not that simple. Maybe he's with other wolves and you can't make out the right scent, or his tracks got distorted. Or maybe he's just not here and has gone home. You'll get even more lost than you are now if you wander around looking for someone you don't really know that well." 

As soon as the first sentence left her lips Angus felt his chest rising with a new sense of hope. His smile has only broadened in the darkness and his tail had begun to sway back and forth against the grass they both sat and lay upon. But it died down as quickly as it had come the more Ivaylo spoke. There was...a tone in her voice that made it sound as if perhaps everything Angus had been talking about from their first encounter til now was nothing more than a cloth of lies. A sham; a veil that was tightly woven around his own little mind as if to mean he was not smart enough to see past what was truth and what was a lie. The hope and excitement that had begun to bubble in his chest plummeted like a rock to the pit of his stomach. But his smile remained, though strained now as he listened to her. Did...did she not believe him? Did Ivaylo not trust that, albeit he was lost now, that he was incapable of finding Hyperion? The pups breath shallowed as he listened, his mind racing rapidly as he tried to formulate some sort of rebuttal.  Sure, he was lost from his home now- but he was damn sure he knew in a general sense of where he was. Hyperion couldn't have made it that far in a few days time. Besides, Angus was almost certain his eyesight was still decent enough to not only smell Hyperion from a ways off, but he would be able to see the prince as well!  

Yet Angus remained silent, his large green eyes searching Ivaylo's face as she finished explaining why she couldn't help him find this wolf. The pit in his stomach grew heavier as the realization set in. His brows furrowed and knitted together as he looked down and away; his brain formulating what to do next.  

"Here's what I propose we do; you tell me as much as you can about Gemini and this stranger you met, and I'll decide our next course of action depending on what you know already. And then--- we eat something. Because god dammit, I'm starving." 

She must have seen his disappointment. Angus's head shot up as she spoke of an alternative plan, and of food. He hadn't even realized that (aside from the gut punching rock that had settled from his disappointment) he hadn't eaten in quite a few days. Hyperion had meant to teach him to hunt, but they had become separated during his training. The pup inhaled and forced himself to nod and attempt to keep a positive attitude, though his heart had already begun burning at the thought that Ivaylo did not believe him or his word. This, however, would have to suffice for now. 

"The faster we do this, the faster we can hunt. Go on, then. You said you heard about this place from a man named... Hyperion, was it? What did he say? When was this?" 

"Well," Angus began, scrunching up his nose and looking back up at Ivaylo," I know that Hyperion is...I know that Hyperion is important to Gemini. He told me that Gemini was a wonderful pack; full of wolves and, and possibly my parents. He said he was a prince. Or, or he used to be a prince. But then he left. He didn't really explain why; but he was going to teach me how to hunt. We went off to find some rabbit but got separated." The pup frowned and stood up, ears flattening against his head. " I lost track of him a few miles back but, he told me to head in the direction of the sun in the morning...so East, I would guess. He said, he said once you find The Path, go north and keep east...you'd run in to it eventually." The pup sighed, shaking his head. "When we met, I was looking for this Path. I don't know what it is or what it looks like but if we find that then we can find Gemini." 
Angus looked to the sky as the stars and moon began to grow brighter in the sky. He let out a small muffled groan as he watched the clear sky above them. 
"We just...need to follow the sun. That should lead us there." 

His stomach let out a loud growl and the pup's ears immediately shot down and his tail tucked between his legs. He looked at her sheepishly before offering a small smile. 

"I, I, I guess I'm hungry also.." Angus's sheepish smile faded quickly as the sound of rustling bushes near by. His ears shot up as he gave Ivaylo a long look. Food? The pup's curiosity began to grow as he took a slow step towards the larger wolf. 

"There's...something...nearby.." He whispered, his nose already hard at work trying to decipher what it was; but the boy only smelled the strong stench of blood. The pup frowned, looking at Ivaylo now with a bit of a frantic look. What was it? What would they do now? 

RE: Fight Or Flight [Ivaylo] - Ivaylo - May 26, 2018

Ivaylo stared intently as she listened to his story, taking in every detail. Of course, she had to consider that this prince might have been lying to him the whole time, or maybe he didn't quite recall things exactly as it happened. There were too many possibilities of things that could go wrong if she chose to trust in his memories being precise, or that unknown wolves didn't have tricks up their sleeves. However, if what he was telling her was right, that Gemini was located in the east at the end of a path, this could be their only way of finding sanctuary. They could not stay in the forest for long. There were bandits, bears, slavers, questionable weather changes that she never understood. Whatever she decided to do, her main priority was to help Angus find a way out of this place. And she, too, would be free.

"We just...need to follow the sun. That should lead us there."

She glanced up at the sky, irritated that it would be so long until the sun arose in the morning. She could find east another way, couldn't she? That might be hard, and too risky to do at night. Better to stay and figure out their next move when their bellies are full.

"Hmm. I see," she muttered, but before she could think of what to do next, she noticed Angus become tense suddenly. Her ears rotated to and fro, detecting a creature creeping around in the foliage a few meters away. But her eyes stayed glued on Angus. Her jaws parted slightly, and she inhaled once, tasting signs of wounded prey close by. After a few moments, she was convinced that it was a frail deer, most likely a calf judging by the unsteady steps and quiet cries. It must have been separated from its mother, hopefully not by another wolf skulking around these parts. Should they leave, find another place to sleep just in case? No, this was a learning experience. And she was going to take advantage of it for Angus. Finally, she looked up to see the fluffy white tail bobbing around in the distance. She looked back at Angus, smirking.

"Ever had baby deer?" she inquired in a low voice. "Tastes a little better than the real thing, if you ask me."

Slowly, she stood, and beckoned gently for Angus to follow with her tail. Immediately she crept in a low stance, drawing closer and closer to the bushes without a sound. Although her paws were heavy and strong, she was careful not to make any sudden noise. Her hunger was too great to pass this one up, but she knew someone else whose hunger was far more important than her own.

After a few silent moments that felt like it lasted centuries, the burly woman leaped with a snarl and managed to snag the young fawn by the ankle. She tussled it down to the ground, then clamped her fangs around its neck, attempting to choke it out. Normally, she would have given chase if it were much older and stronger, but she had the advantage of it being injured already. Once she knew it was dead, she scooped it up between her jaws and dragged it by the neck to the boulder. She would give Angus a playful little wink as she walked by him, then dump it by the ground where they lay. Meanwhile, she stood back and sat as she gestured towards the prey.

"Go ahead. It's not much, but you'll need your energy."

She took one long final look at the deer before laying down once more, now realizing how exhausted she felt after such an eventful day. Her muscles were worn, her eyelids heavy, and she wanted nothing more than to eat her fill and sleep. But she would try her best to stay awake until Angus lay down to do the same.

"There's claw marks on its hide. But it's not concerning, since whatever hurt it seemed to be too small to take it down. We should be fine to stay here tonight," she said, yawning the last few words out. She was finding it hard to keep her head up, much less her eyes open. It was at that point that she lost track of her thoughts and had completely forgotten about their plans.

"I just hope you know that you're safe now. I never felt safe on my own, yknow? It's dangerous to be... alive, I guess. But we all choose to be. For whatever reason. And your reasons are to find your family again, and adventure. You and I are... a lot alike. Even if you don't believe it yet." Another yawn escaped her. "I think we should head for that path you mentioned. It's not worth our efforts to find this man Hyperion when he could have very well returned home by now. Maybe when we get there you'll see him and tell him how you made it there aaaaalll by yourself. Don't worry, I'll still secretly take most of the credit. We'll set out as soon as dawn breaks."

Ivaylo rolled onto her side, stretching out her legs and feeling satisfaction as her bones cracked with ease. "Remember what I said, though," she mumbled, her eyes finally closing against her will. But she accepted slumber with open arms and did not want to fight it any longer. "Family important... Be... smart... Save me a leg... would ya?" And soon enough, she was asleep, snoring and peaceful. This would be the first full night of restful sleep she would have in a long while. And quite possibly, the last.

RE: Fight Or Flight [Ivaylo] - Angus - May 28, 2018

The seconds felt like minutes and those imaginary minutes felt like hours as Angus stood frozen in place. Ivaylo had picked up on his sudden tense nature and she too remained completely still, though he watched as their eyes never broke each others hold- until they did. He watched as Ivaylo's attention snapped away from him and over to a bush nearby. She saw something he hadn't and the smile that crept up on her face had him relaxing considerably.

"Ever had baby deer? Tastes a little better than the real thing, if you ask me."

Angus' ears perked up as she whispered to him and suddenly he could only hear and feel the rumblings in his stomach that shook his tiny legs and body to their core. He shook his head, noticing after thirty seconds or so that he had begun to drool from the sides of his mouth. Deer? Gods that sounded wonderful. 

He watched as she slowly rose and began stalking their dinner. He followed with an intense curiosity, head lifting as much as it could in hopes of seeing the fawn for himself. And he did! He saw the head lift from the dense grass and brush, he could hear the bellowing cries it made for its mother as it dragged its half dead body through the night. Angus stopped for a moment as he began to draw the parallels of himself and this fawn. He stood in place, his chest feeling heavy again as he watched Ivaylo lunge with grace and take it down in no time at all. The scent of blood filled the air which made his stomach growl even louder as Ivaylo dragged the body from the brush back towards their temporary home. He noticed how tired she looked as they walked back, and even her wink of a job well done and it'll be okay couldn't hide the fact that she was exhausted. The pup wondered if perhaps this was partly his doing.

Yet he followed her back and offered a small smile as she set the dead beast down.

"Go ahead. It's not much, but you'll need your energy.There's claw marks on its hide. But it's not concerning, since whatever hurt it seemed to be too small to take it down. We should be fine to stay here tonight."

He looked up at her in the darkness she settled herself down, offering him first dibs of the food. There was sympathy in his gaze as he stared at her, his heart pounding in his chest as he looked at Ivaylo; someone he had only met that morning who had taken it upon herself to help him find Gemini, and how hard she worked to do this just for him...it made his heart swell and small tears well in his eyes. He nodded furiously as he approached the carcass.

"Thank you so much," he said as happily as he could, grateful to just have a meal for tonight. Angus was about to dig in when he caught Ivaylo lay down and stretch out.

"I just hope you know that you're safe now. I never felt safe on my own, yknow? It's dangerous to be... alive, I guess. But we all choose to be. For whatever reason. And your reasons are to find your family again, and adventure. You and I are... a lot alike. Even if you don't believe it yet. I think we should head for that path you mentioned. It's not worth our efforts to find this man Hyperion when he could have very well returned home by now. Maybe when we get there you'll see him and tell him how you made it there aaaaalll by yourself. Don't worry, I'll still secretly take most of the credit. We'll set out as soon as dawn breaks."

His head shot up as she spoke this time. The feeling of gratefulness in his chest subsided and that heavy rock fell once more in to his gut. Perhaps...perhaps she was merely joking with him when she said she'd take most of the credit for finding Gemini. But it was the tone she expressed that caught him off guard and had him sitting back on his rear once more. In her exhaustion, to him at least, it felt as if the truth was beginning to shine through. She didn't believe a word he said- well, she believed that perhaps this 'path to Gemini' existed, but she didn't believe in Hyperion or in anything else he had brought forth. Hell, in her mind finding Hyperion- the basic ticket to their sanctuary home and their way of finding their families...he just didn't exist. There was a sort of anger that welled up inside of him as he mulled over her words as they came out of her mouth. Angus looked away, his ears lowered atop his head. Who was Ivaylo anyway? If it wasn't for him why, if it wasn't for him she'd still be lost with that damn dog and puppy who was too afraid to meet anybody!

Angus gave a silent huff as he looked at the ground, his claws digging in to the dirt. There was a childish temper tantrum building inside of him and he knew deep down that he was right and she was wrong; but he didn't have the heart to fight her now about it- not after she had gone to the trouble of keeping him safe for now.

"Remember what I said, though-Family important... Be... smart... Save me a leg... would ya?"

The words stung his ears as she sleepily reminded him of family. He could feel the hot tears in his eyes- this time they were angry tears. Sure, it had only been a day or so since they had first met, and sure, who were they really to each other? But Angus knew that Ivaylo was someone he could trust; well, he thought he knew that. But what was trust really, if both parties couldn't give and take equally? His head shot up as he looked at her once more, his tiny teeth bared in anger. It was no use of course, as he gazed upon the exhausted individual before him, so suddenly asleep and unaware of the world around her. Angus riled inside as he fought with what to do next. He looked down at the carcass of the fawn and inhaled sharply; somewhere out there was a mother deer, and maybe a father deer looking for their child. And here their child lay, dead and cold on the ground next to a wolf who didn't believe the pup that sat across from the dead creature. Angus's chest heaved and his body shuddered as he thought of himself in the place of this fawn: the fawn could have wandered too far- it could have been accidentally separated from the most important members of the herd, and now it was nothing more than his dinner. To be frank, it made Angus sick to his stomach, but still it growled and yearned for nourishment and he couldn't deny his body that for the sake of a moral high ground. Because Ivaylo was right in that regard; the world was a dangerous place and those who didn't understand it would never make it.

But Angus had made it. He had made it this far with the help of strangers and he was not dead. Perhaps he understood more of the world than this wolf gave him credit for. He rose after a moment, softly padding to the fawn and sniffing it before taking a bite. His mouth salivated at the saltiness of the meat in his mouth and he dug in. He ate a relatively decent hole through the stomach of the fawn, though he was still small enough to where by time he was full, much of the carcass remained. Angus sighed and looked to Ivaylo before looking to where the sun had set just hours before. He knew the way, he was sure of it...

With one last sharp inhale, the pup motioned towards the fawn and tugged at the leg, ripping and chewing it off bit by bit. When he had enough of the bone and meat severed from the deer, he turned to Ivaylo and gave a soft whimper.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, "but you're right. Family is important...and I need to find Hyperion...to find them." He walked up to her, giving her a gentle nudge on her cheek with his nose- not hard enough to wake her but enough to where he knew that he had firmly said his goodbyes. With a heavy heart he stepped back, grabbed the leg he had ripped from the deer and took off in the direction of the morning sun.

--------------

OOC: End post